The Multicultural Leadership Program (MCLP) is a nine-month intense leadership development program designed to develop diverse leaders to engage the power of diverse perspectives to improve our world.
Applications due May 31, 2019.
The class will run from July 2019 – March 2020, with graduation in April 2020.
What is MCLP?
- The Multicultural Leadership Program is an intense nine-month journey which runs from July through March each year. Our mission is to develop leaders who engage the power of diverse perspectives to improve our world.
- MCLP is a rigorous curriculum which includes many components (assessments, learning events, nonprofit projects, board shadowing, mentoring, buddy assignments, homework, and more.)
- Core components of the program include:
- To be a “Servant Leader”
- To be self-aware and grow as a leader
- To develop authentic relationships
- To foster diversity inclusion
- To make a positive impact
What do participants gain?
- Click here for alumni testimonials.
- Increased understanding of specific leadership skills through interactive classes, simulations, and panels.
- New relationships with fellow participants who come from diverse professions, ethnicities, religions, abilities, genders, sexual orientations, socioeconomic status, and more.
- Support from a community leader hand-picked to mentor them through this journey.
- Experience assisting a local nonprofit through their assigned community project team.
- The opportunity to shadow a nonprofit board.
What is expected of participants?
- Applicants are expected to check the dates for all learning events and hold the dates when applying.
- In order to graduate from the program, a participant should attend all learning events. Absences due to unforeseen circumstances are handled on a case by case basis, and may excessive attendance issues may affect a participant’s ability to continue in the program or graduate with the class. Class of 2020 Learning Event Schedule.
- In addition to the learning events, the following is expected:
- Completion of multiple assessments in July before classes start
- Read participant manual before each learning event and complete any readings or assignments
- Monthly meeting with mentor (one to two hours)
- Monthly meeting with buddy (one to two hours)
- Assigned nonprofit project work done outside of class (September and March)
- Semi-monthly (2x/month) team meetings (September through March, one to two hours each)
- Board meetings for assigned nonprofit (typically at least 2 – 3 meetings total)
- Participate in two community project presentations (during learning events)
- Written assignments including project reports and more
- Review Learning Event Dates & Confirm you can attend all events.
- Consider attending one of our Class of 2020 Recruitment Events:
- Complete an online application form.
Once an application is submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation email with links to forward to professional references who can speak to their leadership experience/potential. Two personal references are due by May 31, 2019.
Tuition for the Class of 2020 is $1,500. We do not want cost to be a barrier to participation. Some employers cover all or part of the cost of the program. If not, need-based scholarships and payment plans are also available.
The Multicultural Leadership Program is able to keep tuition low thanks to our many volunteers, sponsors, and donors. We are thankful for all those who ‘pay it forward’ with a monthly, quarterly, or annual gift to help keep tuition affordable.